North Langley Diamond Sports (NLDS) is non-profit organization that is made up of our volunteers. NLDS Softball relies and is dependent on the support and commitment of our parents and guardian volunteers to help provide a positive environment on and off the field. Our association is run by hundreds of people each year who volunteer their time, to create an association whose focus is giving back to the kids and our community.
We expect every family to provide 4 hours of volunteer time per player (of course, giving more is always welcome!).
These hours are above and beyond the volunteer duties completed to support your player's team throughout the season. In the event your volunteer hours are not completed, your volunteer deposit cheque, collected as part of registration at the beginning of the season, will be cashed in lieu of service. For those that do not wish to put in the hours, you do have an option to pay $100 OPT OUT fee at time of registration.
We do have a variety of volunteer roles that you can sign up for that need to be filled every season -opening ceremonies -set up, concessions, clothing sales, Photo Day, field prep, closing weekend concessions, as well as open positions on the Softball Executive (year round role).
Some key dates to note, where you can get in volunteer hours:
- Ice Breaker (concession, set up, clothing sales etc): (Ten.) Saturday April 2nd, 2022
- Photo Day (clothing sales, coordinating teams):TBA
- Super Weekend: June 11th and 12th, 2022
There are currently multiple Executive Positions looking for volunteers:
- Attend 4-5 meetings (1.5 hrs usually) and take notes on discussion. Type and submit to committee.
- Send out agenda pre-meeting.
- Field Coordinator
- Complete field application process in late fall (1 – 2 hours)
- Confirm field availability with Scheduler once Township contracts received in March (1 – 2 hours)
- Once or twice monthly (April – September), reconcile existing field contracts with actual park use (2 – 4 hours per month)
- Maintain good communication with Softball Scheduler and Township liaison
- The scheduler creates balanced game schedules for the entire season for lower division House teams as well as creating balanced interlock schedules for the upper division House teams. Rep team schedules are provided but field allocation is the responsibility of the scheduler.
- The scheduler also fulfills practice field requests throughout the season.
- This position is very busy, requiring a few hours each day for about 2 weeks in early spring. Once the season begins, the needs of this position lighten considerably to a maintenance level requiring only about 1 – 2 hours per week.
- The scheduler must be very organized and able to tend to requests in a timely manner.
- This position requires clear and timely ongoing communication with Coaches, the Field Coordinator, and Schedulers from other associations.
There is a concise “how to” manual for each position and anyone taking on these roles will have strong mentorship to guide them through the first season.
Please email email@example.com if you’re interested, or apply in person at the upcoming meeting.
Thank you for your time volunteering with our NLDS Softball program.